Last night we celebrated my mom’s birthday, and I was put in charge of dessert. She wanted Chocolate and Peanut Butter Cupcakes, her favorite, now of course I couldn’t make just a simple Chocolate and Peanut Butter cupcake, I needed to make it more fun than that. It was the perfect opportunity to try out the surprise cake technique I’ve been seeing all over Pinterest, only in a cupcake.
Chocolate and Peanut Butter are on of my favorite cake/cupcake flavor combos, though isn’t it everyone’s? There’s just something about a moist chocolate cake topped with silky peanut butter buttercream. Did I mention that Reese’s cup on top? Yeah, that makes it pretty good too!
Oh, but the surprise, yeah, that’s the best part! I cored out the cupcakes and filled them with mini Reese’s Pieces.
The Reese’s Pieces surprise was a lot of fun, and it would have been an actual surprise if Matt hadn’t told everyone. The Reese’s Pieces added great texture and I’ll never make Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes without them again!
Plus that creamy peanut butter frosting is pretty damn good too!
So what are you waiting for? Whip up a batch, grab a gallon of milk, and enjoy!
Chocolate & Peanut Butter Surprise Cupcakes
Serves: 24 Cupcakes
- 1 Box Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- 3.9 oz. Package Jell-O Instant Chocolate Pudding
- 4 Eggs
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- ¾ cup Vegetable Oil
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- 1½ cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- 1 bag Mini Reese's Pieces
- 24 bag Mini Reese's Cups
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Unsalted Butter (Room temp)
- 1 cup Peanut Butter
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 3-4 cups Confectioners' Sugar
- 4-5 tbsp Heavy Cream
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Line cupcake pan.
- Combine all ingredients in a stand mixer and beat until combined.
- Fill cupcake liners ½ - ¾ full.
- Reduce heat to 350 F.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until toothpick comes clean.
- Remove from oven and move cupcakes to cooling racks to finish cooling.
- Use a cupcake corer to core the cupcakes, fill the holes with mini Reese's Pieces.
- Cream Butter using a paddle attachment.
- Add vanilla and peanut butter and beat until well mixed.
- Add confectioners' sugar a cup at a time, alternating with heavy cream.
- Whip on medium high speed for 2-3 minutes until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Pipe frosting onto cupcakes.
- Top each cupcake with a Reese's cup.
- For added wow, Use a small frosting tip to frost the Reese's cup!