Chocolate & Peanut Butter Surprise Cupcakes

Share it with the World…Pin on PinterestShare on Google+Share on StumbleUponShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePrint this page
Last night we celebrated my mom’s birthday, and I was put in charge of dessert. She wanted Chocolate and Peanut Butter Cupcakes, her favorite, now of course I couldn’t make just a simple Chocolate and Peanut Butter cupcake, I needed to make it more fun than that. It was the perfect opportunity to try out the surprise cake technique I’ve been seeing all over Pinterest, only in a cupcake.
Peanut Butter Surprise Cupcakes | Living Better Together

Chocolate and Peanut Butter are on of my favorite cake/cupcake flavor combos, though isn’t it everyone’s? There’s just something about a moist chocolate cake topped with silky peanut butter buttercream. Did I mention that Reese’s cup on top? Yeah, that makes it pretty good too!

Oh, but the surprise, yeah, that’s the best part! I cored out the cupcakes and filled them with mini Reese’s Pieces.

Awesome, right?
 Peanut Butter Surprise Cupcakes | Living Better Together

The Reese’s Pieces surprise was a lot of fun, and it would have been an actual surprise if Matt hadn’t told everyone. The Reese’s Pieces added great texture and I’ll never make Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes without them again!

SO GOOD!

Plus that creamy peanut butter frosting is pretty damn good too!

So what are you waiting for? Whip up a batch, grab a gallon of milk, and enjoy!
Peanut Butter Surprise Cupcakes | Living Better Together

• 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
  • ¼ tsp Sea Salt
  • 1½ cup Mini Chocolate Chips
  • 1 bag Mini Reese’s Pieces
  • 24 bag Mini Reese’s Cups
Frosting:
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) Unsalted Butter (Room temp)
  • 1 cup Peanut Butter
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
  • 3-4 cups Confectioners’ Sugar

Instructions
Cupcakes:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
  2. Line cupcake pan.
  3. Combine all ingredients in a stand mixer and beat until combined.
  4. Fill cupcake liners ½ – ¾ full.
  5. Reduce heat to 350 F.
  6. Bake for 18-22 minutes until toothpick comes clean.
  7. Remove from oven and move cupcakes to cooling racks to finish cooling.
  8. Use a cupcake corer to core the cupcakes, fill the holes with mini Reese’s Pieces.
Frosting:
  1. Cream Butter.
  2. Add vanilla and peanut butter and beat until well mixed.
  3. Add confectioners’ sugar a cup at a time until you reach the consistency you want.
  4. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes.
  5. Top each cupcake with a Reese’s cup.
  6. For added wow, Use a small frosting tip to frost the Reese’s cup!

Peanut Butter Surprise Cupcakes | Living Better Together

HI, FRIENDS!!

Life really is better together, so make sure to join our community! You will receive all our yummy recipes, fun decor ideas, and life tips right to your email!!

We hate spam. Your email address won’t be shared.

sig

19 Comments on Chocolate & Peanut Butter Surprise Cupcakes

1. Jenna @ A Savory Feast
    September 29, 2014 at 4:35 pm (4 months ago)

Oh my goodness, the “mini cupcake” on top is so cute! I love peanut butter and chocolate together, so these are a must make!
    Jenna @ A Savory Feast recently posted…Giant Peanut Butter CupsMy Profile

• fickrj5@gmail.com
      September 29, 2014 at 8:33 pm (4 months ago)

I know, isn’t it adorable! My husband told me I was ridiculous but I couldn’t get over the cuteness!

2. Debi @ Life Currents
    October 13, 2014 at 1:37 pm (4 months ago)

So adorable! I love that you put frosting on the pnut butter cup! Yum!

3. Katie Pierce
    October 13, 2014 at 8:01 pm (4 months ago)

Could these be any more darling?! I don’t think I have ever baked with sour cream before, but it sounds like it would work well here.
    Katie Pierce recently posted…Cranberry Pistachio BitesMy Profile

• fickrj5@gmail.com
      October 14, 2014 at 10:28 am (4 months ago)

Sour Cream is amazing when it comes to cakes! You don’t taste it but it makes them so moist!

4. April
    October 14, 2014 at 6:17 pm (4 months ago)

I make a similar recipe, but I like how you used sour cream in yours. They look so delicious.
    April recently posted…Frugal Fall Beef StewMy Profile

• fickrj5@gmail.com
      October 14, 2014 at 7:46 pm (4 months ago)

The sour cream makes such a difference! You can’t taste it but it makes them extremely moist!

5. Angela
    January 17, 2015 at 5:07 pm (1 week ago)

The picture caught my eye because they look perfect! Just thinking I’m going to try this but put the Reese’s Pieces in before they bake. I would think the batter would just cover them. Anyone else try this?

• fickrj5@gmail.com
      January 17, 2015 at 6:01 pm (1 week ago)

You could definitely try them that way, I’m sure it would be like adding them to cookie dough.

• Rebecca
      January 22, 2015 at 3:32 pm (5 days ago)

Thanks, Steph! They’re one of my most requested recipes!

6. laura londergan
    January 22, 2015 at 7:16 pm (5 days ago)

dude! these look AMAZING! And your pics are amazng – awesome shots – some of the best I’ve seen you do! Love it!
    laura londergan recently posted…FREEBIES :: Top 10 of 2014My Profile

• Rebecca
      January 22, 2015 at 8:49 pm (5 days ago)

Thanks, Laura! I love these shots too… if only that were scratch and sniff/eat!

4Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Chocolate & Peanut Butter Surprise Cupcakes

1. […] might also like: Chocolate & Peanut Butter Surprise Cupcakes White Chocolate Raspberry Champagne […]

2. […] changed, all those years I had no idea what I was missing! As you can tell from this post and my Peanut Butter and Chocolate Surprise Cupcakes, I’m clearly making up for lost time! These cakes are absolutely perfect for birthdays, […]

3. […] Eggless Funnel Cakes|| Chocolate + Peanut Butter Surprise Cupcakes || Strawberry Cherry Soup with Cashew […]

4. […] Peanut Butter Surprise Cupcakes […]