Last night we celebrated my mom’s birthday, of course I was put in charge of dessert. She wanted Chocolate and Peanut Butter Cupcakes, her favorite, now I of course couldn’t make just a simple Chocolate and Peanut Butter cupcake, I needed to make it more fun then that. It was the perfect opportunity to try out the surprise cake technique I’ve been seeing all over Pinterest, only I’d be using it in a cupcake.
Chocolate and Peanut Butter cupcakes are one of my favorite flavor combinations, I must get it from my mother. There’s just something about a moist chocolate cake topped with silky peanut buttery buttercream. Did I mention that Reese’s cup on top? Yeah, that makes it pretty good too!
Oh, but the surprise, yeah that’s the best part! I cored out the cupcakes and filled them with mini Reese’s Pieces!
Makes 24 Cupcakes
- 1 Box Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- 3.9 oz. Package Jell-O Instant Chocolate Pudding
- 4 Eggs
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 bag Mini Reese’s Pieces
- 1 bag Mini Reese’s Cups
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Unsalted Butter (Room temp)
- 1 cup Peanut Butter
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 3-4 cups Confectioners’ Sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Line cupcake pan.
- Combine all ingredients in a stand mixer and beat until combined.
- Fill cupcake liners 1/2 – 3/4 full.
- Reduce heat to 325 F.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until toothpick comes clean.
- Remove from oven and move cupcakes to cooling racks to finish cooling.
- Use a cupcake corer to core the cupcakes, fill the holes with mini Reese’s Pieces.
- Cream Butter.
- Add vanilla and peanut butter and beat until well mixed.
- Add confectioners’ sugar a cup at a time until you reach the consistency you want.
- Use a decorating tool to frost cupcakes.
- Top each cupcake with a Reese’s cup.
The Reese’s Pieces Surprise was a lot of fun, and it would have been an actual surprise if Matt hadn’t told everyone. The Reese’s Pieces added great texture, I’ll never make Chocolate and Peanut Butter Cupcakes without them again!
Plus that creamy peanut butter frosting is pretty damn amazing too!
So what are you waiting for? Whip up a batch, grab a gallon of milk, and enjoy!
You might also like:
Linked up at The Weekend Potluck