This was one of the first recipes I posted on the blog, but the photos needed to be updated and I thought the recipe itself was better suited for fall than winter, even though I love pumpkin all year round. I got this recipe from a co-worker about a year ago, it’s amazing and I’ve made it for almost every family get together since!
This warm, delicious, layered dessert is perfect for any fall occasion. The silky pumpkin pie base, the delicious yellow cake topped with crunchy nuts and fresh made whipped cream with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg, it’s PERFECT! I made it this weekend to take over to the in-laws for dessert after my brother-in-law’s first football game of the season, there’s always a house full of people and everyone loves this dish!
Pumpkin Crumble Cake
The perfect alternative to pumpkin pie, this dessert’s amazing layers will impress the whole family!
Serves: 18 servings
- 2 – 15 oz. cans of pumpkin pie filling
- 1 – 12 oz. can of evaporated milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ cups of sugar
- 2 tsp. of cinnamon
- 2 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of butter
- 1-2 cups of walnuts or pecans
- Whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix together all base ingredients (Pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar, spices). Pour base mix into an ungreased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Evenly distribute the dry yellow cake mix over the top of the pumpkin mix
- I like to sprinkle mine with a little extra pumpkin pie spice after the cake has been added.
- Melt butter and pour over the cake mix. The butter will not completely cover the cake.
- Finally, spread the nuts out evenly on top of the cake. Pop it in the oven for 1 hour.
- Serve warm with fresh whipped cream and a dash of cinnamon.
I have made this gluten free and it was still wonderful, you couldn’t even tell the difference. However, I have also made it without nuts, and it’s just not the same without them, they really give a nice crunch and texture to this dish. This is a great alternative to the traditional pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving, your family will love it!
You can find more great fall recipes on my Fall in Love board!